It has been a few years in the making and what started with baby steps has gained significant momentum.
A Note of Thanks
I would like to start with a note of thanks.
This project would not have been possible without the valuable contribution of intellect, time and energy of a number of volunteers and benefactors. I would like to thank
- John Darmanin, Donald John Pace and Civil Engineer Stephen Farrugia for their work on the physical infrastructure of the walk,
- Benjamin Portelli for creating the Universal Peace Walk 1543AD website. This has been in use since before the 12th March 2022 walk.
- Fr. Walter Vassallo ofm for creating the Universal Peace Walk 1543AD app. The app will be available through Google Play before we walk the Universal Peace Walk 1543AD on 27th November 2022.
- Rituccia Portelli, Jack Gunn Portelli and Bettina Gunn Portelli for the literary content of the Universal Peace Walk website, app and guidebook,
- Regjun Punent, Regjun Nofsinhar and Regjun Xlokk (Local council regions through which the Universal Peace Walk 1543AD passes) for enthusiastically sharing in and supporting our vision and work. A special note of thanks goes to Ms Elke Sghendo, Regjun Punent Executive Secretary and Ms Naomi Galea, Regjun Punent Cultural Manager,
- Mr. David Schembri, Mayor of Qrendi for pulling all the stops on our arduous journey to turn this project into a reality,
- The Malta Tourism Authority for helping with financing and sharing in our wider vision for faith walks,
- All XirCammini members and friends who walked the various pilot walks in preparation for the March 2023 re-launch.
Some Help Please
On Friday, 4th November 2022 we intend to start fixing the various emblems and signs on the waymarks so that the waymarks would then be ready to be installed along the route.
If you can dedicate a few hours between 14:30 and 19:30 on Friday, 4th November please send me a WhatsApp message or drop me an email on information@XirCammini.org.
There are around 40 waymarks that require to have signs fixed on them. With a few extra helping hands we should be able to finish them between 14:30 and 19:30 on Friday.
As we approach the official roll out of the Universal Peace Walk 1543AD in March 2023, together with the Malta Tourism Authority we are already working on more heritage walks in Malta. We are also working on a much bigger project that will put Malta on the international map of heritage and faith walks. But, more on this later as the story continues to develop.
Ultreya ….. James