Spain is, of course, most renowned for the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela or the Way of St. James (Via Jacobi or Jakobsweg). Although this is being listed as one pilgrimage, in reality pilgrims from all the ancient Christian kingdoms, princedoms, dukedoms and Bishopric states flocked to Santiago and – as a result – there are several routes of St. James converging on Santiago de Compostela. In addition to the Way of St. James, Spain has other ancient pilgrimage sites.
- Monastery of Santo Toribio de Liébana is a 6th century monastery in Cantabria. It is one of the few catholic places of worship that has the privilege of issuing perpetual indulgences. https://thecompletepilgrim.com/santo-toribio-de-liebana-monastery/
- Our Lady of Covadonga. Apparitions are associated with the victory against the Moors in Asturias that changed the course of history during the Reconquista. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/a-side-pilgrimage-to-covadonga/
- Our Lady of Guadalupe. A 13th century monastery.
- Our Lady of Monserrat. The mountain of Monserrat is home to an 12th century statute in this ancient Benedictine Monastery in Catalunya. https://www.montserratvisita.com/en/spirituality/our-lady
- Our Lady of Pilar (Zaragoza). Tradition has it that Our Lady appeared to a disheartened St. James who was preaching to the gentiles in Spain and strengthened his resolve to persevere in his mission. https://thecompletepilgrim.com/basilica-lady-pillar/
- Santiago de Compostela. The pilgrimage route dates back to the discovery of the remains of St. James in Galicia dating back to the 9th century AD. It grew steadily in importance as the Spanish Reconquista started gaining ground in Spain. http://catedraldesantiago.es/
- Therese of Avila. Carmelite nun from Avila who lived in the 16th century and is one of pillars of the Carmelite Order. https://www.spain.info/en/reportajes/ruta-huellas-santa-teresa-jesus-espana.html
Spain has many other pilgrimage routes particularly tied to apparitions of Our Lady. But most of these would be more recent than the ones mentioned above.